Tuesday, September 29, 2009

So Much Music, So Little Time ...

In the five years I have ran CMR, I have had many people tell me that they envy the fact that we get to listen to music all the time. I wish that were true. Although we get dozens of pre-release albums each month, I personally rarely have the time to listen to them all. My title says founder and webmaster. Do you know what that means? That means I started the site, but my job as webmaster has me week in and week out piecing together what you see everytime you visit CMR. It's fun for the most part, but can become so redundant at times that I stop and ask myself, "What was I doing again?" :)

On the other hand, when I do get to sit down and listen, I usually completely immerse myself in the worship and basically block out anything around me. Unlike any other things in my life that sometimes encompass me, I find peace listening to some good Christian music. Sometimes I even sing along if I'm in the mood. I guess the Lord knew what He was doing when He put this CMR project in my hands. It's been an interesting, sometimes frustrating journey, but overall it has been a blessing.

I guess the biggest gratification of doing this is the fact that we get to know a lot of the artists we write reviews for. Over the years we have become personal friends with some of the artists that we've covered. I count it a privilage to get to know these people on a personal level. It's then that you realize what they go through each and everyday to bring forth the music that you hear on the radio or on your CD player or iPod everyday. I love to sing. I love to play guitar, but after seeing what these artists go through each day, I would never want to do it full-time. Too much stress. So I am perfectly happy to just be a fan, listening from a distance, still knowing what's on the minds of these talented people.

It's fun when I have the time to just sit back, relax and listen. It's gratifying. It's also fun to see fans reaction to music that's put out there. Sometimes I get excited as if I were the artist, anxious to see what people think. While reviewing music and conducting interviews is fun for the most part, it is still work. We have to work hard to get the material posted that you see each week.

Next time you visit CMR, take a moment and pray for everyone involved that the Lord continues to guide our ministry in the way He wants!

God bless you all in Jesus' name!

- Jay

1 comment:

  1. I've been more than slightly overwhelmed by all the cool music that I haven't heard 3/4 of it yet. But I don't have an MP3 player, and although the PS3 can play music files, we have an NHL2010 game. Needless to say, music is not a big priority as far as PS3 use goes. :) I love doing what I do because it makes me feel like what I think matters. :)

    ReplyDelete